The Restart Grant scheme is available to support businesses in reopening safely as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
Eligible businesses in the non-essential retail sector may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of up to £6,000 and eligible businesses in the hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym sectors may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of up to £18,000 from their local council.
In order to be eligible for the Restart Grant, your business must be:
- Based in England
- In the non-essential retail, hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care or gym sectors
- Trading on 1 April 2021
The Restart Grant is not available if your business is:
- is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register
- has exceeded the permitted subsidy allowance:
- Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance – you’re allowed up to £335,000 (subject to exchange rates) over any period of 3 years
- COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance – you’re allowed up to £1,600,000
- COVID-19 Business Grant Special Allowance – if you have reached your limits under the two allowances above, you may be able to access a further allowance of funding under these scheme rules of up to £9,000,000, provided certain conditions are met
You must notify your local council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria. Local councils will use their discretion to determine whether businesses meet the eligibility criteria for this grant scheme.
How to apply
Grants will be available from 1 April 2021 however applications can be submitted in advance via your local council’s website.